Tuesday, November 13

dinner at Le Mac

I went into a random McDonald's today, and it kind of blew my mind. I had heard that McD's was attempting to turn its image around and possibly with Japan as a jumping-off point (can't find the articles now, dammit). Today was the first time I noticed.

It hit me as I was noshing on my crack-fries and sipping my crack-shake. I was staring across my table at a modern, burnt-sienna (Crayola, anyone?) leather chair with simple metal legs. Other, more isolated tables had molded metal arms and legs with nice off-white leather (or convincingly fake leather). Booth seats were in unobtrusive earthtones as well. The wall paint/paper featured a stylish graphic design. The corridor walls featured dark wood tones, which continued into the bathrooms to meet with frosted green glass mirrors.

I mean, all fast-food restaurants that have made it to Japan are nicer here than they are back home...but this was something else.

So, the entire time, I was thinking, where the fuck am I? What the hell? I go to McDonald's expecting either: a) red and yellow and white plastic everything, dingy floors, grudgingly-rotating chairs attached by an arm to the center of the table ... or b) purple, pink, and green everything, dingy art-deco wallpaper and too much clip art and too much vinyl.

Hehe! I was looking for the articles I was thinking of, and I stumbled across this little McRib discussion at Chowhound (hilariously fluctuates between homage/condemnation). I kind of have to try one now.

Hmm, these other articles do reference the new-image campaign.
McDonald's to revamp brand image
[Siam Future]

Under the theme "I'm Lovin' It'', the costly campaign, introduced by the parent company two weeks ago, requires financial contributions from overseas subsidiaries in 118 countries, according to the local operator, McThai Co.
McDonald's new two-year campaign intends to promote the brand as a lifestyle instead of a name associated with an occasional meal out. It will create a more contemporary image in an effort to woo back young diners.
Also,
Chains take pains to reinvent themselves in bids to match hipper decor of newer rivals
[Nation's Restaurant News] (kind of tabloid-y)
McDonald's, amid some misgivings by franchisees, now is embarking on a domestic image overhaul that's an outgrowth of a campaign begun eight years ago in France, where hundreds of branches added hardwood floors, exposed brick and such theme packages as the "Mountain" ski chalet or "Sport" model with TVs showing athletic events. Some French McDonald's also went high fashion with a revamping of the chain's logo from red and yellow to maroon and mustard.

The chain's current stateside upgrade campaign seems more forward looking and studiously contemporary, though doubters have questioned whether the exterior revamping is too radical and might squander the brand equity of some instantly recognizable architectural elements.
Well, sneaky business tactics aside, I'm all for the transformation. Bring on the "linger zones." If you're saying I can sink into a couch, plug in my laptop, hoover junk food and find a decent restroom, I'm THERE. And let's get these transformations going in rest-stop McDonald'ses too, eh? (Highway 5, anyone?)

No comments: