Wednesday, November 21

like the boyscout motto

...something about preparedness...whatever I forget.

My sage wisdom for you: a suck-ass blisteringly cold day can be turned into a fantastic cold-can't-touch-me day with a thermal turtleneck and thermal leggings under your usual clothes (even better if they're tucked in interlocking layers!). Only $15 from Uniqlo -- take that, nature!

The weather report has been wrong like every day this week. It's all, "hey! So, yeah, today was snowy, but tomorrow! ...yeah, tomorrow's looking fine!" and then it snows. A little bit sometimes and other times a lot (right now -- a lot). Tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny...so...snow.

Speaking of snow, I was talking to the accountant at work today, and now I think he's maybe the craziest 60-year-old ever. He came up to me like, "Boy, I really hope it keeps snowing through the weekend!" and I did sort of a "What? WHY?"

"It'll be good for the skiers and snowboarders!"

"Uh, but the slopes aren't open yet."

"Ah, well, it's mostly up north, yes. But if you take your equipment up you can go to down the slopes now."

"Hunh?"

"I think I'll be going to the local ski slopes this weekend!"

"Wait, what? How will you do it if they aren't open?"

"Oh, well, it's very expensive to use the lifts at the ski resort, so I usually don't. I just carry my skis to the top."

"WHAT?! What...how...whuh....isn't it TIRING??"

"Oh, yes, I sweat a lot, but it's good exercise. And it's almost free."

So yeah. This guy walks up mountain faces with his equipment (and he favors the deep powder faces) and then skis down them. I mean, just so we don't all feel too bad, I think he's also a marathon runner. While this is in no way possible for my lazy ass, christ...can you imagine how cheap it would be if you bypassed the lifts by walking?! Do people regularly do this? How long would it even take?

2 comments:

akatsuki said...

Don't worry Kat, if the world turns their backs to ski lifts I will still stand by your side and shell out the cash for the darned thing. That being said, I (we) should become friends with this guy.

Carla said...

"always..." the boyscout motto is always etc.

also, tromping thru scary snow nooo.