Thursday, December 20

kikoku

I'm going to be in Sweet, Sweet America in less than 24 hours, and then Sweet, Sweet Tahoe in less than 48. It'll be my first time back to the states in almost 1.5 years. Now that I'm typing it, it really doesn't seem like such a long time, but it really felt like an eternity. I think I'm finally accustomed enough to the Japanese way of life that I may actually get the elusive "reverse culture shock" when I go home. Most likely, the hardest things will be:
1. Not mixing Japanese into my English sentences. Sometimes it's just so convenient! Nihongo-mazeta-Eigo is such a unique JET-ism...I just realized that, linguistically, it would pretty interesting to study which words people tend to adopt to replace English and why.
2. Not getting annoyed by excessive comprehension -- I'll suddenly be able to understand what everyone around me is saying, from annoying high school girls to annoying people talking loudly on cell phones in quiet places. I already get really irked in places bustling with English-speaking tourists, so we'll see how that goes.
Small worries aside, I am SO EXCITED to be going home. In fact, I'm just writing this blog entry to kill time before I can hop on a plane (several trains and two planes) and blow this popsicle stand.
The real issue is...how I going to fit my monster luggage(s) through the subway turnstile...?

No comments: