Monday, May 12

Nerd evolution, 98% complete

I finally gone and done one of the more nerdy things I've ever considered doing in my life...which is to say, I've joined an anime fansubbing group! Heh heh! It's only been a day and I've already learned a lot about the process. Anyway, this will be a really interesting way to keep my Japanese from getting rusty. Man, I had to listen to and translate an audio clip to audition as a translator, and it was hard! Well, the hardest part was transcribing the audio without visual cues. I would instinctually think they were trying to say one thing, but the grammar would tell me otherwise. Blah. I'm hoping that even though the show contains a lot more technical jargon and keigo, it'll be easier to translate with situational context (and I wouldn't be working alone).

The anime is Saiunkoku Monogatari (season 2). It's quite good, especially if you're interested in the culture and style of government present in medieval China (i.e., oodles of erhu music and chrysanthemum tea, ahhh). I know no one who reads this is as big of an anime nerd as I am, but I'll just say that it reminds me more of the political intrigue of Juuni Kokuki than the fluffy romance/drama of Fushigi Yuugi. Yep. An empty comparison for all.


In other news, and I think I'm in love with Vampire Weekend. "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" is the shit!

No comments: