Sunday, January 25

half asleep

I am absolutely in love with this song, by School of Seven Bells. It's sort of pretty and lilting and a little shoe-gazey, but it reminds me of certain prolonged fits of ennui that I couldn't escape in college.

And how cool is the band? Identical twin girls, one of whom is a lucid dreamer, and a dude, who took their name from a "mythical South American pickpocket training academy." (sez Wiki)



Sometimes I go whole days
listening, bored, half asleep
I won't say anything
that's worth a thing to me
One day, suddenly,
time
took a turn that once felt so brief
I blinked to see polite ghosts fading quickly

What begins as an unguarded
train of thoughts slowly can become
an addiction
to the slumber
of disconnection
and the resonance
of
memory that no longer has a shape

but keeps you numb through
the hours till gone is another day

Be aware, my darling
these things I say I mean
are just traces of something
I long to feel again
I see our time expand in the air almost forcibly,
spreading thinner till it dissolves completely