Thursday, November 8

(NaBloPoMo2) 悩んでる (what to do, what to do?)

[I've moved over from LJ but I want to keep all my Nat'l Blog Posting Month posts together, so I'm reposting them here. Originally posted Nov. 6, 2007, at 11:06PM. This one's fairly ironic to read now.]

This is day two and I'm already like WHAT THE CRAP CAN I BLOG ABOUT?!

Well, blogging itself, I guess? Boring, but it's on my mind.

So, I can't decide. To switch to blogger or not to switch to blogger? What do you guys think (all five of you)?

My reasoning thus far:

1. Livejournal templates are really annoying to customize (if you don't feel like getting your hands dirty with html and CSS). At the mo, I don't think I'm enough of a serious-blogger-cum-elitist-computer-nerd to design my own layout. All I want are freely customizable sidebars that can have javascript widgets (read: I want my awesome shared Google reader feeds in your FACE).

2. Livejournal commenting is dumb. What the hell, "openID", "logged in Livejournal user", and "anonymous" only? I mean sure, people can pick anonymous and then write their name somewhere in the comment, but what a pain in the ass.

3. Indeed, Livejournal was one of the first real blogging communities -- emphasis on community. But, pre-blogger Blogspot has been around for ages, too (although a lot of the cooler templates have disappeared), and for the past FIVE YEARS the free realm of LJ has been stagnating. With mega-giant Google backing, Blogger is seeing rapid progress towards becoming more integrated with other services.

4. I'm not really into LJ communities or socializing via blog circles. I am really into the Google universe (reader, gmail, gcal, picasa...).

5. Most of my free time + blogging zeal happens at work; however, there's a nice network filter at work that blogs all the edit/post pages of LJ, Blogger, Wordpress, you name it. (but not ning.com! hmm.) I can, however, do the sneaky thing and blog via e-mail. The thing is, blogging via gmail to LJ formats all wonky, while emailing to Blogger is totally fine.

Yada yada. So what's stopping me? Having to start fresh, having to notify everyone, wondering if people will still read my blog if they can't access it from their LJ friends page, uh...er...

Okay, one side of this argument seems much more substantial.

This is what's good about getting things down in writing. It makes your laziness and love of procrastination starkly clear. Looks like I'll move to Blogger once I get it all tested and whatnot.

---

In other news! Tonight I had dinner at an adorable cafe in the back of a lingerie store that is also a bakery. Their menu is based on soup/salad/sammich sets with an attached パン食べ放題 (all-you-can-eat bread). The best part is that every time I go there with my boy, he is quite conspicuously the only male patron (and glaringly foreign, at that) breezing through the racks of lace-y, padded bras to hit the bread buffet. Hee hee.

No comments: