Thursday, July 31

rejoining society

This has been an amazingly productive week. With naught but an expired license, and dubious insurance to boot, each day I've had to pester some poor family member or friend (thanks, guys) to drive me to the DMV, mobile phone store, electronics store, post office, grocery store, or bank for random errands. Random errands essential for reestablishing me as a real card-carrying American, that is. (And let's not forget the occasional pizza-and-gelato run!) I've probably gotten more done than if it had just been me hauling my lazy ass into the driver's seat. And I finally feel like I've got all my little life details back in control, which is a really nice feeling.

And yet, I also feel like I'm now a guest in my own home. My sister and I are sequestered in the loft while some friends of my father live in our room. I think I'll be living out of my luggage from Japan far into the foreseeable future. With much less space and the same number of responsibilities and expectations, family-home-life can be kind of rocky (only occasionally). I worry, because after our last move, the two of us had our rooms combined. If we move again to Colorado, I'll probably be thrown in a spare suitcase and left there.

No comments: